- represents the German Government on the North Atlantic Council and its subsidiary committees and other bodies.
For NATO to be able to respond rapidly to developments around the world, the North Atlantic Council has to be able to convene within sixty minutes.
- has the necessary preparation and staff to provide suitable representation on the North Atlantic Council in times of crisis, thus enabling NATO to repond rapidly to developments around the world.
- keeps the German Government informed of events and developments in NATO
- advises the German Government on current issues relating to NATO and to security policy more generally
- promotes Germany’s interests in terms of the staffing of NATO institutions